BSc, BA, iBSc, iBA
+ Internship (optional)
+ International Degree with Study Abroad (optional)
+ International Dual Degree (optional)
Learning about Computer Science is arguably one of the most important routes to understanding and participating in the world of the future.
Our Computer Science program will equip you with both foundational knowledge and applied skills, using a blend of hardware and software courses including extensive lab work. You will learn the methodologies that lead to efficient and accurate software development, and you can choose from a wide range of application areas, including machine learning, robotics, graphics, user interface design and data mining.
We also offer flexible co-op options. Lassonde has teamed up with a variety of companies to help you gain valuable professional experience. Recent work placements have been at Bell Canada, RBC, IBM, Ministry of Health, and Communications Security Establishment.
The BSc, BA, iBSc, iBA and International Dual Degree all allow you to explore learning beyond computer science. In the BA, you can complement your studies with courses from the Liberal Arts such as humanities, social sciences, history, philosophy and more – fields that help you understand human social and creative endeavours. In the BSc, complementary courses will be in the sciences (e.g., biology, chemistry, physics). You can also formalize such studies through a degree minor or double major.
Our International degrees give you the opportunity to learn computer science from a global perspective. Pick up a new language and study abroad as part of the iBA or iBSc degree. In the Dual Degree, you’ll spend a year studying in Germany and Greece.
Changing the world for the better, perhaps through artificial intelligence, data science, and other new fields of the future, requires more than a purely technical point of view. An awareness of impacts on the world and on our lives is a fundamental outcome of our programs.
TECHNICAL SKILLS YOU'LL GAIN
• Ability to apply theory learned in the classroom to course labs, projects and assignments as well as
in extra-curicular competitions and student clubs
• Advanced knowledge of C and Java – used for projects involving robotics, 3D graphics, software
applications and app development.
• MATLAB modelling software for signals, systems and digital communications processing
• Models and algorithms for data mining and machine learning
• Verilog circuit-modelling language, MIPS assembly language for embedded systems and FPGA
• Software design models including design pattern and development
• Various networking tools including Wireshark
• Other languages including C++, Eiffel, Unix Shell, SQL/mySQL database, and PHP
• Practical expertise gained by working in industry through the Internship Program
SOFT SKILLS YOU’LL GAIN
• Social and communication skills gained through club membership and leadership opportunities
(CSHub, CyberTroops, AppDroid, Robotics Society and more)
• Teamwork acumen gained through multiple group and team activities, including courses with
• Introduction to Computer Science
• Discrete Mathematics
• Algebra (for BA and BSc specialized honours)
• Foundational science (Physics,Chemistry or Biology, for BSc programs)
• Software Design
• Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
• Information Networks
• Net-Centric Computing
• Design and Analysis of Algorithms
• Communication Networks
• Big Data Systems
• Embedded Systems
• Artificial Intelligence and Logic Programming
• Database Systems
• Building E-Commerce Systems
• Data Mining
• User Interfaces
PLACES YOU’LL GO
• Software and Network Developer
• Data Scientist
• Cloud Computing Specialist
• Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning Developer
• Robotics Systems Developer
• Virtual Reality System Developer
• Human/Computer Interface Design
• Cyber Security Analyst
• App Developer
SAMPLE CO-OP/INTERNSHIP EMPLOYERS
• The Regional Municipality of York
• The Ministry of Education and Training
Check out a sample first-year Computer Science schedule.
For more information on course descriptions and degree completion requirements, check out the Academic Calendar.